As we get older we’re told we should exfoliate more often to remove all those dead skin cells so we have brighter, youthful skin. Exfoliating unclogs your pores, which helps your largest organ (your skin) release toxins! I don’t know about you but there seems to be about a million tools you can use to facilitate exfoliating and it’s just too overwhelming.
Recently I came across an article that talked about dry brushing. My first thought was that brushing my dry skin would be uncomfortable and not feel good at all but using a natural bristle brush actually felt really good!
So…. Here’s how you dry brush
- Get a long handled natural bristle brush so you can reach your back and other hard to reach places.
- Stand in a spot that will be easy to clean up all the dead skin. (Yes, there is a lot of dead skin!)
- Start at your feet in move in long sweeping motions toward your heart. Apparently brushing away from your heart can cause varicose veins.
- Brush each are several times, making sure you overlap each area a little, not missing any spots. Only do what feels comfortable. This should not hurt!
- Once you’ve brushed every inch of your skin, take a shower.
Pat your skin dry and use a really great moisturizer like Hempz Yazu & Starfruit Daily Moisturizer. (available now at Totally Tan )